The job has was Starred.
The job has was Starred.
19 Jan 2017
Interim Finance Requirements – Technical Accounting Areas
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Royal Borough of Greenwich is transforming its workforce to ensure the right people are in the right place at the right time. It is looking to determine the optimum mix of finance professionals across a number of areas, balancing its own resources against a number of opportunities which have been identified for the next six months – experience of final accounts in the relevant area is essential.
We are therefore seeking highly experienced Finance Managers within the following specialisms
• Collection Fund accounting
• Pension Fund investments
• Treasury Management.
• Final Accounts (main statements and associated notes preparation)
• Strategic Procurement
• Taxation (VAT and CIS)
• Capital accounting
This area is accountable for a range of specific job families (examples may include Departmental Financial Management, Strategic Financial Planning, Financial Accounts, Treasury Management, Capital Management, Procurement)
These families provide a diverse range of professional financial management support that ensures Royal Borough Services are delivered effectively. The role covers a range of diverse areas, requiring an understanding of the professional discipline of accountancy in its widest sense.
N.B. This post(s) carries responsibilities above and beyond other Principal Accountant posts which is reflected in the higher grade. These additional responsibilities will be clearly wider in breadth/scope/complexity than the main Principal Accountant role. Examples of such additional responsibilities might include:
– Leadership on the financial management aspects of particular initiatives/projects such as the key aspects of Council wide Capital Projects/Investment/Procurement initiatives ( e.g. the Council’s Regeneration Strategy ) involving working alongside and reporting to Council Chief Officers, liaising/negotiating with external project stakeholders on strategic funding issues, liaising/negotiating with other key advisers such as Taxation experts and Contract lawyers, etc. Developing and maintaining key service/business knowledge in support of the Council initiatives in question.
– Leadership of particular aspects of the Council’s financial management responsibilities. For example its Pension Fund ( 20,000 membership ) with responsibility for the Pension Fund’s business plan, investment strategies, etc. Presenting/advising on reports at Pension Panel/Board meetings to Council Members, etc. Developing and maintaining expertise on
– 2 –
the financial/legal frameworks in relation to the Pension Fund. Liaising with External Auditors in relation to all aspects of the Pension Fund
To managerially bring together the services under their responsibility, ensuring that they operate effectively and within the broad legal and statutory frameworks.
To provide expertise and management support to colleagues within the services and across the
Council and ensures that a culture of continuing professional development exists within these areas.
To be involved in complex problems and issues and will provide briefing and guidance on these issues to senior officers.
To represent the Royal Borough in contacts with other organisations.
To deputise for the Finance Manager
1. To have appropriate managerial responsibility for defined business services such as those described above.
2. To ensure the Royal Borough’s strategies in these areas are continuously developed to reflect
legal changes, organisational changes, current and future best practice in the public sector and
the requirements of the authority.
3. To ensure that the Royal Borough’s processes in these areas are continuously reviewed and
updated to reflect the strategies and deliver value for money.
4. To ensure the development and implementation of finance service plans, including service
delivery targets and overall responsibility for the budgets of these services
5. To ensure that effective training programmes exist to support the long-term delivery of
services, both at the senior and support staff levels, through continuous professional
development of staff at all levels.
6. To support senior managers with the most complex issues within their services.
7 To effectively supervise staff reporting to them as appropriate.
8. To carry out all duties with due regard to the provisions of Health, Safety and Wellbeing regulations and legislation, Data Protection legislation, the Royal Borough’s Equal
Opportunities and Customer Care policies and any local agreements.
– 3 –
9. To undertake any other work appropriate to the level and general nature of the duties of the
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Specific knowledge and experience of issues necessary for the provision of an effective service.
Management skills necessary to manage services and staff.
Well-developed problem solving abilities to deal with the wide range of challenges.
Detailed understanding of the accounting requirements with respect to these services and the systems that support them.
Qualified CCAB accountant and / or equivalent level of experience.
How to ApplyIf your previous experience meet the above criteria please apply now by uploading your CV.Our recruitment team will consider whether or not your application is suitable for this vacancy. If you do not hear from us within 14 days of your application, please be aware that in this instance your CV does not meet requirement for this position. Positive Employment do no discriminate on grounds of Disability, Race, Age, Gender, Sexual Orientation and Comply with all relevant UK legislation.
1976 total views, 6 today